Thursday, December 22, 2011

Write a 250 word essay starting with "Why......"

Why is educating equivalent to watering down so many times? If we looked like we wanted to learn halfway, we actually preferred playing outside, but guess what? We get up at 6 am for twelve plus years, brush our teeth, grimace at our pimply faces and march off to school, so don't, DON'T belledddy patronize us, please!

History textbooks for example. Each era/period/century is made to snugly fit into 10 pages of badly typed up text. It's like watching a horrible trailer for a movie that will never be released. So you have kids walking around under the impression that most of the Indian Independence struggle started with salt on a beach and ended with salt-holding person's dietary changes. Not cool.

Science is another gassy explosion altogether. To draw from personal experience, I spent a large part of my youth thinking we get Vitamin D from the sun and milk i.e. that both are separate sources of the thing. But as I learnt and only because I took specific chemistry classes, energy from the sun converts pro-Vitamin D which we get from foods like said milk into Vitamin D. And here I thought that there were invisible Vitamin D packets floating around in the sky between the times of 12pm-4pm. It would have been a simple enough thing to explain to a child but nooo, hide this scarring truth from us.

Geography makes me seasick (my oversmart quips are a result of this poor education, I don't know enough so I think I know a lot, geddit, geddit). The world somehow manages to be completely boring in a geography textbook and learning from television has its perils. Most channels, through Hollywood movies make the Ptolemaic mistake of showing the States to be the center of the universe.

This non-critical, biased, way of learning infects higher education too and we sit around in graduate level classes and ponder completely uninteresting, inherently flawed, meaningless questions like, "If someone on LSD thinks he is flying, do we say he isn't?" Word.

1 comment:

  1. love! This post made me smile :) and then I laughed at the last question. write more!

    ReplyDelete